Monday, January 16, 2012

Adopted for Life book

For the most part I think almost every christian family who is adopting has read or atleast heard of the Russell Moore book "Adopted for Life".  Joe and I read it years ago at the start of this process of adopting our girl from Ethiopia, but I began to reread it recently and was quickly reminded of how encouraging, honest, and bibilically sound it really is.

There are so many great truths and for anyone who wants to just learn more about adoption, what people are thinking who are going through the process, or if you are interested in adopting one day..I would  encourage you to get a copy.  I think a lot of people dismiss any thought of it until they know someone personally who is adopting, I sure did. Before we began I didn't know anything, such as there are 5 million orphans in Ethiopia alone. I also didn't view it in the eyes of how God does. This book is truly worthwhile of your time, even if you never think you'll adopt. Here are 2 favorite quotes from the book:

"Infertility isn't good. Miscarriages are evil. Death is horrible. I don't shrug my shoulders in resignation at those things. I lost three children, children i'll never know until resurrection morning. But even in this, God was working all things together for good. If it hadn't been for the infertility, for the miscarriages, my wife and I never would have traveled across the ocean to that orphanage. Our lives would have been impoverished, and we wouldn't even have known it."

"It is one thing when the culture doesn't get adoption. What else could one expect when all of life is seen as the quest of selfish genes for survival? It is one thing when the culture doesn't get adoption and so speaks of buying a cat as adopting a pet. But when those who follow Christ think the same way, we betray that we miss something crucial about our own salvation."

No comments:

Post a Comment