Friday, September 21, 2012

Navy Bathroom!

This is how I envisioned my navy bathroom looking. Of course I have the boring builder grade mirror & cheap lighting that really can't be fixed (lack of skill & $) but I gave it a shot anyway. Sort of guessed on color because  I was in a hurry to "fix" what I had destroyed.
I got tired of my pale yellow walls that was left over from the nursery & tried to do one accent wall with paint I had lying around. I did not like it! Then I tried another paint I had around. Oops. Hated it more. I ran to the mistint section @ Ace & tried to correct it. Not good. Then I went to the mistint section @ Lowes once and for all and got white paint/primer in one. This still didn't work. I needed a dark color to fix all the paint that had gooped up the wall. Now thankfully so far the whole mess only cost me 3.00 in mistake paint.

So Sunday night I ran to my scary walmart down the street, out of patience and money & wanting to just make it work so I could stand being in there. I found their cheapest paint & saw "Rich Navy" & immediately loved it. I almost changed my mind and went for a charcoal gray but decided that I have enough gray around and navy is a great pop with yellow and gray (the rest of the house). Now on pinterest I had seen another color which was almost black but it was Benjamin Moore & although I know it's great stuff, it's a bit pricey.
I only got a quarter of a gallon which come to find out was not enough and in time I have to get more so the walls look saturated. However, I'm so tired of painting that will have to wait (and no money anyway for these upgrades when we are moving anyway).
Here she is, in all her glory:


Sorry for the cheap quality, my camera is not great & I need practice taking better photos.
Now  I know what a terrible painter I am, also quite impatient & with those ugly floors & bad trim it's hard to make this look decent. Trying to bring as much white in as possible. Thankfully that rug gives it a nice punch & the art is my beautiful grandma kreloff, done by my Uncle Marty who is oh so talented. I love seeing her each day & remembering my dad's side of the family in that way. 
The small white frames are from the flea market and although I love them they are a bit small for that wall, so they might move. I had the holes though & so it works for now. It's not perfect but better than before I think.
Joe says he's glad he's not depressed or he would be each time he goes in there. Thanks for the comforting words honey :)
Okay am I crazy or does it look ok? My first reaction was spaceship/galaxy theme in a boy's bedroom, which I don't like that idea - I want sophisticated & modern space that has some depth :) Hopefully we'll move soon and it will just be a fun memory!
Here are a few other pics I've taken recently that capture some cute smiles!


Happy Weekend to you all!




4 comments:

  1. So, I just posted a long comment and then it deleted the whole thing, so I'll try again!

    I like the wall color, though I agree that another coat (or maybe even 2) will help you obtain the look you were going for. Though I certainly understand the reluctance to paint it yet another time- bathrooms are the absolute worst to paint- small space so you can't move around and painting around the toilet is a pain.

    I really like the decor. The rug is amazing!! I think the small frames look good, but the photo doesn't give the best perspective as far as space. If they seem too small, maybe you could hang something above them, like a small shelf. Also, I would probably paint the baseboards white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know, those baseboards & trim are all that awful brown - definently needs more coats & I kind of wish it was more of a blue/black than the color it is, almost seems cobalt which is nice for clothes, but not what I was going for. The rug I got @ TJ MAxx for a steal - love that place! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually love it - makes me want to try something bold! I have always loved navy walls/rooms! Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rachel, I was scared @ first but I do love the drastic change - just gonna grab 1 more quart to saturate the walls more & hoping to get an accessory or two over time to throw it together. There are some cute navy inspiration pics on pinterest which helped :)

    ReplyDelete